I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Embroidery restoration

is one of the services I also offer in my work.
 
As in the cute little child's vintage pillow case I have been working on for a customer.
The design is adorable. It is a pre-stamped pillow case from Vogart.
 
Much of the stitching has come undone and much of it was worked hurridly and in black. 
When going over the work with the customer, she graciously gave me the "creative license" to chose how I wanted to restore it.  

I removed much of the stitching, especially in the clouds

leaving only the top strip of the what was still in good shape.

I then embroidered it.

I left the brown embroidery in tact, but the faces of the cats needed some work.


As well as the clothing.

So much detail can be lost if the eyes are not embroidered with care.

And now the cats has some character

and their clothing has some life .

And now the pillowcase is restored ready for any sweet babe to lie it's head on!
I really liked the way this turned out............
don't you?
 

Remember the old chair I posted about in my last post?
 

Here it is with my embroidered panel on it. I decided to sand and stain the chair instead of painting it.
The cushion is also in pretty fair condition. I am going to either quilt a tie on cushion/cover for it....or maybe crochet one............
what do you think?
 

I love the way the dark stain brought out the colors in the embroidery.

Best of all, it matches my old sewing machine in my studio. It will make the perfect sewing chair.
How about you?
Do you have any linens with broken or unfinished embroidery?
If you would like it to be finished or restored, just contact me at my email on my profile.
 


15 comments:

twinpeakprimitives said...

Dear Kathleen,

You posted again warm and adorable works.

Child pillow and its stitching story is so inspirational! You also showed how "any simple pattern or design" would be sophisticated and more beautiful by showing attention to every single detail!

The chair looks so beautiful and excellently well at its location!

Thanks for such lovely sharing!

All my very best!

SmithGang said...

That chair turned out beautiful. So glad u found it to redo.love ur work.

Cindy said...

You did a great job fixing up the stitchery. It looks so much better!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I would give you creative license to do anything. :) Lovely work! And the chair turned out great. I think a crocheted chair cover would be perfect. Wishing you a wonderful day. Tammy

letslearnembroidery said...

Love the chair.It looks more antique than ever!

Hill Top Post said...

The chair is lovely now...just perfect with your sewing machine.

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet pillow case, Kathleen. And, as always, you did a superb job. The colors are so much more vibrant, and really tell a story.

The chair looks wonderful. I do like the embroidery against the dark stain.

Blessings,
Marianne xox

janice15 said...

The new stitchery is lovely I think it turned out just fine..it surely looks brite and alive...the chair is awesome I love what you have done...with love Janice

Bev C said...

Hello Kathleen,

Lovely to see the embroidery come back to life. Love your chair, now a family heirloom.

Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Jocelyn said...

The redo is fabulous! It's really come to life.

Your chair looks great. I would vote for the crocheted cover. Maybe something that lets the base fabric peek through and drapes a little over the sides?

Sharon said...

My pillowcase is so adorable! I can't wait to get it. You did a great job.

A Colorful World said...

Gorgeous work!!! That rose pattern is stunning! I hope you will offer it in your book!

Laura Venosa Verbena said...

Hello..I have been away from blogging for too long...your gift is amazing..a true dying art. xo Laura

The Tea Lady's Journal said...

You did amazing work on the restoration of the pillow case. You really brought it to life. The remake on your sewing chair is very nice too. Great job stitching the new top part.

Preeti said...

The embroidery on the chair looks great! I too will try it.

I loved your blog very much.

I have started a new blog http://createwittyunleashed.blogspot.in/

Please visit and send your feedback.