I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Old pitchers and platters have

always been some of the things I search for when I go to flea markets or sales.
I bet you do as well!....... Am I right?
And as you may already know...............they are getting harder to find.
Vintage embroidered and crocheted linens, as well as cookbooks, are on the list as well.
Once in a while, I will be fortunate enough to find a piece that matches with something that I already have in my collection!

The crocheted doily is hand crocheted from an elderly friend of mine who used to run an antique shop. Bell had an arch back trunk full of these wonderful items..........all made by her! Years later, I went to visit her and this wonderful pitcher was sitting out in the weather on an old weathered table. I quickly rescued it!
( I think she placed it there for me to find, actually,...........she was sweet this way)

The platter is one that I found at a street flea market, underneath a pile of other dishes. How lucky I felt when I uncovered it!  The lady who ran the booth asked only 50 cents for it! I have had this for years now.

I have been stitching ,off and on through the months,on a set of coasters, each with a different flower for each month. I have found vintage china to be the best help when it comes to choosing color for my embroidered project. The pitcher and the platter, helped with this design.  

All in all, it has made a pretty grouping.
How about you? What colors do you like best in china?
Blue Willow perhaps..............or the charm of country roses?
Do you have a special tea pot or pitcher in your favorite design?
I would  love to hear!

2 comments:

MeganH said...

I have a small collection of vintage china.

I found a large platter that was from the same series as a large teapot one day. Maroon and cream, densely floral.

I was so rapt!

And I dropped it, opening my front door! Broke right down the middle. *cry*. I glued it, and now they are on display together, but it SO annoys me that it was me that put that big crack there! It was otherwise perfect!

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I just love old pitchers! And platters????? I can remember my Mom using a HUGE blue and white platter to display the Thanksgiving turkey. I was so happy when I found one just like it in an antique shop. I couldn't pass it up.

Wanted to tell you that I found an old book from 1898 put out by Brainerd and Armstrong. It is full of old embroidery patterns. If you think you'd like it, send me your address, and I'll send it along to you.