I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What were you stitching on August 31, 1997?

August 31, 1997.........I remember that day well. I was up at 2:00 AM, stitching on a beaded tree skirt, while my little ones were asleep and my husband was working the night shift. With very small children at that time, I did not get much sewing done, until the wee hours of the morning, when they were not needing my attention, plus, it helped me survive the loniliness when my husband was away.
The reason I remember this date so well is not only was I finished with the tree skirt, which I had started the past June, but as I was watching the news, the tragic news......Princess Diana was gone......tragically killed in an auto accident.....I just could not believe it! As I was getting ready to retire for the night, my mind still filled with the tragic news, I heard my rabbits outside crying. I ran outside to find that dogs had attacked the hutches. What rabbits that were not killed in this attack, were horribly injured and at 3:00 AM, the local vet was at my house, putting them down for me. Such a tragic sad night.

Although I remember these sad things when this piece was finished, when I look at the designs, it reminds me of the the happy Christmas times when our children were very small....
and all Santa had to bring was baby dolls, trucks, and play dough......such sweet, simple times.


I never did cut the piece to fit around the bottom of our tree. I knew it would soon be ruined by small hands and pets. Instead it has always been draped across our old piano and is still in "new condition." On the back is a label that I fixed, stating the dates when I began and finished, along with a small note about Princess Diana. Many years and generations from now......when I am no longer stitching on this earth, someone will have this in their possession and will probably go research who Princess Diana was.
Now how about you? Were you stitching on something or creating when something "big" happened? I would love to hear!




2 comments:

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

I remember that day very well. It was my son's 1st birthday and we were having a huge BBQ in our yard. We had a great day but all the talk was about Princess Di.

Mini said...

That's a pretty tree skirt! Back in '97, I was in college & remember every news channel reporting Lady Di's death. But, the death of Mother Teresa a few days later is what really shook India.