I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, August 17, 2009

Embroidered Buttons

I love the small designs in embroidery.
a rosebud.......a tiny butterfly.....
a blossom, no larger than a nickel or quarter.


I have stitched and accumulated a good amount of these tiny works of art.......
but what should I do with them?? I have at times used them as patches on my children's play clothes, to preserve a shirt or dress for a little longer wear........


and then......I started making embroidered buttons.


the main reason......I want to one day learn how to knit a sweater....
and I can just imagine an embroidered button or two on it!






also, at times.....I have used the embroidered buttons as pretty bows on special gifts, such as Mother's day....baby showers....




I love the way they have a vintage charm to them....
now.....
how about you? Any ideas on what to do with small pieces of embroidery....
do you do something special when you wrap a present for someone??
I would love to hear!






14 comments:

Conni said...

Kathleen, those buttons are absolutely adorable! They'd be cute on an altered sweatshirt/cardigan with lace and vintage trims!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I LIKE your embroideries on the covered buttons. You know me - I'd incorporate them into a quilt. :)

Jocelyn said...

Your embroidered buttons are precious. Just so perfect for a sweater or small project. Maybe you can use them for the catch of a purse.

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

I love those Kathleen ! So cute.

Grammyof13 said...

Just being able to embroider would be nice! I am Jane be nimble when it comes to anything but the sewing machine. And at that I feel second rate! You do such
b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l work. I love it.

Paula said...

How pretty, Kathleen! The buttons are so delicate- I think they would look wonderful on anything!

Linda said...

Kathleen, your bouquet of button are so pretty...I think putting them on sweaters etc. is a wonderful idea..hugs, Linda

Joanne said...

They are beautiful! Being a button lover and embroidery appreciator, its the perfect combination. :-)

Childers Corner said...

I love your buttons Kathy! They are so special and I love the way they look on the sweater!

Ruth said...

All of your handwork is so gorgeous. I have just looked through your blog and absolutely love everything. You are so gifted, it is absolutely amazing.

Ruth

Domestically Inclined said...

Gorgeous embroidered buttons!
I use the small ones to make lavendar sachets, broches, small gift bags, but just love the button idea. Are the buttons hard to make?

Gina E. said...

Your buttons are just gorgeous! I wouldn't want to part with any of them.

Mini said...

I think you could make tiny magnets too for people to put up where they like...I know I'd love to have them on my refrigerator:)

Anonymous said...

I just love your buttons and would love to try them. Can you tell me where you get the buttons? I have looked on the internet and can't find anything. Jeanette