I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Easy Crocheted Dish Cloth

I love homemade dishcloths and hot pads. I am in the process of crocheting at least a dozen in different patterns. These work up so easily! Below is the instructions for the one I just finished. If you need help to learn the crochet stitches go to click here
Enjoy!

Finished Size: Approximately 13 x 13
Materials
100% cotton Worsted Weight Yarn, approximately:
2 1/2 ounces
Crochet hook size H
Gauge: 16dc and 6 rows = 4"

Ch 53
Row 1 ( Right side): Dc in fourth ch from hook and in next 3 chs, (skip next 2 chs, dc in next 4 chs, ch 2, dc in next 4 chs) across to last 6 chs, skip next 2 chs, dc in next 3 chs, 2 dc in last ch:
50 sts.

note: Loop a short piece of yarn around any stitch to mark last row as right side.

Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc) turn; dc in same dc and in next 3 dc, *skip next 2 dc, dc in next 3 dc, (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 3 dc; repeat from * across to last 6 sts, skip next 2 dc, dc in next 3 dc, 2 dc in last st.

Repeat Row 2 until dishcloth measures approximately 13" from beginning ch, ending by working a right side row

Edging: Ch 1, do not turn; sc evenly around entire dishcloth, working 3 sc in each corner; join with slip st to first sc, finish off.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these. I remember having a set of crocheted placemats that my grandma made. You are so very talented.

Nancy M. said...

My church has a crochet circle every Sunday. I have carpal tunnel and it hurts me too much to do it, but I really enjoy seeing what everyone else has made!

Paula said...

Wow- I love it, Kathleen! And when you say "easy", I'm not sure that would apply to me! LOL

Linda said...

Hi Kathleen, I love the crocheted dishcloth and it's my favorite color too. Thank you for the pattern...I'd like to make some for Christmas...hugs, Linda

drafter29 said...

I love the crocheted dishcloths. We've worn almost all of ours out. I hadn't seen any made in that pattern. I like that, & the green is pretty too.

Oh, yeah, Nancy. Go to Hobby Lobby, to the needlework section & get a pair of those little gloves with no fingers. They are great for carpal tunnel, & arthritis.

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

I love these.I made a whole bunch of them last Christmas and everybody loved them ! I like that pattern too .