I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, March 31, 2008

Vintage Hanky


Hello everyone. Hope you all had a wonderful week. Thank you all for sharing your comments on some of your collections. I finally bought a nice box to store all of my vintage handkerchiefs in. As you can tell from the photos, they need to be pressed, as they got pretty wrinkled from being crammed up together. I love these old pieces....some were grandmother's, some were my aunts'. I still have the clear memory of one of these ladies, unsnapping their purse to pull out one of these pretty pieces. Of course, I was drawn to the embroidery work on them. The very first thing I embroidered was for my mother. It was a plain white hanky with her initials on it. I was 10. The terrible stitching I had done on that piece is what prompted her to show me the first stitches in embroidery. I hope I have improved just a little over the years{:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello today Kathleen. I could envy you girls and your laid back farm life of animals. I bet you have a place for squirrel's to eat without interfereing with the birds! lol!

One of my sisters had a green house once - she has such a green thumb - it sounds as though you and she may be kin!

Enjoy your summer - you sound so charming - I think I'd like you for a neighbor!! don't worry I don't have plans to move to TX!

Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Also, you make me wish I had started a collection or been interested in starting one.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your sharing your collection with us.

You are an inspiration!

May the Lord continue to richly bless you.