I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Friday, March 7, 2008

Linens

Years ago, my parents worked in the summer together mowing lawns, painting houses and doing carpentry work. Being out of school, I would tag along. Sometimes the customers would invite me in to play with their children while my parents worked. It was on one of these occasions, that I saw and felt what would leave an impression on me for the rest of my life. Going through one bedroom to the play room of a beautiful house, my sight fell upon beautiful embroidered bed linens. As I walked along, my eyes commanded my hand to touch those beautiful threads and colors. I remember thinking to myself, I want my bed to look and feel like this! I thought about this throughout my growing up years and when I learned how to embroidery at the age of 10, I was always trying to embroidery things the way those linens looked. Just a short time ago, I came upon a box at a flea market, stuffed full of old embroidered linens. Among the bits and pieces of dresser scarfs and such, was one pillow case with the most beautiful border and embroidery, almost like the one I had seen so many years ago. So using that border as somewhat of a model, I came up with this border for some of the linens I want to sell. I love gingham's and florals put together. The blues in this seem to work perfectly. I am also in the process of crocheting a gingham afghan to accompany this set. I am in the process of deciding on what kind of embroidery I want to put on these cases. I think this is what takes me the longest in my decision making. Do any of you remember your mother's or grandmothers linens? Are you lucky enough to have had any passed down to you? I think what is even more lovely than the linens are the stories that go along with them, don't you think?

No comments: