I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Collecting







Hello everyone! Hope your Easter holiday was wonderful. Do you all have one special collection or do you have several? I would love to know! I think I have already said that I would love to own an antique shop and to be able to sell antiques as well as my quilts and embroidery. If I could just let go of every thing I collect, I would already have quite a bit of things for my shop! However, I am not at the point of life yet where these things seem to be too much to get rid of . I still enjoy, dusting them, washing them and looking at them. I can't explain it except to say, they give me comfort of " home" feelings. One of my collections are teapots and vintage china. I am fortunate to have a few pieces of my grandmother's "Virginia rose pattern" from Homer Laughlin. And I have beautiful blue mason jars from my mother's antique travels. One thing I have found out about teapots.. for me, at least. They are just like kittens! I found my first teapot at a garage sell, bought it, rushed it home and showed it off to all of my friends and family. All at once, I was getting orphaned teapots friends found in closets and family had stacked away in boxes. All were so excited that I had a love for them and glad to leave them even at my doorstep.{: So that is how my collection was born. I have several other collections like vintage hankies, sea shells from our beach trips and rocks. I can spend hours on my walks finding pretty rocks. Of course, who can do without a button collection? And as you all know, vintage linens are my hearts desire. So now, girlfriends, show me what makes you smile when you see it. I can't wait!

8 comments:

LindaSue said...

Oh my what lovely things you have! I am not much of a collector - raised as a military brat - we were taught to give away things rather than haul them around so I only have a few things that could count as collections. One is my mother's china - I did a blog post about that a while back. The other would have to be books - I love books - we have them all over the house. You inspire me, but we ARE at a time in life where less is better. But I'll definitely stop at your antique shop someday to see all the lovelies.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I do have a wonderful little collection of china that was left to me by my mother and grandmother. I adore tea cups and tea pots. I guess I have about 4 teapots, three of which I use. Someday I must post a photo of some of them. I'm right now making a tea cup quilt that I have posted, and I just finished the applique on the edges last night.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Love your collection!!! I collect butter molds! And I love old kitchen gadgets, cookie cutter, biscuit cutters, etc. Old Pitchers and bowls, too! I love everything!!!! Cora

Paula said...

It's funny you should say that about teapots, Kathleen...I collect them, too! Or did- I had quite a collection going until I quit work a couple of years ago, and money has been so tight, I haven't been able to "indulge" myself too often.
However, one thing I have a LARGE collection of are...chicken-related items. (I know- what a surprise! LOL) Funny thing is, most of them were given to me, so I've not bought hardly any of them myself- and now they are all over my house!
It's so sweet though, when someone comes to me with a little ceramic rooster or something and says,"I saw this and thought of you." It makes me feel so loved!
Better go- I rambled on long enough! LOL

Katie said...

I seem to collect everything old. I have things from both my grandmothers and mother. These include hand crafts, dishes, books, clothes, cooking equipment and quilts. I have posted about some of them. My goal this summer is to get pictures of all my old things and try to figure out what to do with them in the future.

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Hi everyone, Lindasue, if I ever get a shop going, I will let you know since we live pretty close,and roz, you are so lucky to have china from your grandmother and mother, hope your tea cup quilt comes along, I will come take a look! Cora, one of my friends collects kitchen gadgets and cookie cutters, and Paula, what would we do without chickens? I have roosters in my kitchen, and I am currently cross stitching a rooster that looks like one of my real life roosters. If I ever get it finished, it will hang in my kitchen. Katie, thanks for stopping by, I will stop by to visit you as well. Blessings to you all, Kathleen

Pam said...

I enjoyed seeing your collections....I am a "dish" girl, and tea pots and teacups really make my heart beat a little bit faster!
I only recently came across "Virginia Rose;" it's beautiful!

Bhavani Harikrishnan said...

Your blog is a treasure house Kathleen. I just don't know where to look first. I've decided to start with the oldest posts and work my way up.

Have a great day.
Bhavani